This form does not yet contain any fields.
    « Whew... | Main | And so I took a nap... »

    Just A Summer Day Off

    I'm sitting in front of a cheap Lasko box fan.  The 2 window AC's can barely keep up today.  It's been a hot summer for the bulk of the country and it's no different here.  It's late afternoon and I stepped out on the back porch to see the current noon it was 102°.  Well, well, 108° in the shade.

    No wonder I've been sweating most of the afternoon.  This is the first day off I've had since last Monday.  6 days on, 1 day off...and the timesheet says...68.75 hours for the week.  And it's back to work tomorrow.  What did I do today?  Glad you asked.

    I got up around 10am because there was a catered BBQ lunch at work today that I needed to go to.  My body was exhausted from the long days I had been putting in at work.

    My normal morning routine is to sit at the computer and have a couple of cups of green tea while I wake up.  I've been out of tea for a couple of weeks, so I stumbled out to the kitchen in my underwear and plugged in the under appreciated Cappresso coffee maker.  There was still enough beans in the hopper to make 4 cups, so that's what I made.  While the beans were grinding and the coffee brewing I went to my computer to check out some websites and blogs.

    I always start my day checking Yahoo Finance, The Reformed Broker, Kid Dynamite's World, Economic Disconnect, and  At last count I have about 175 bookmark favorites in my browser, but I always start my day with these sites.  Nothing exciting this morning on Yahoo Finance.  Going for coffee.

    Mmm...that first sip is always the best.  A slow deep breath.  Thoughts of camping, fishing, relatives long past gone, my late mother, my son, and the dogs.  I am grateful for what I have.  Now on to TRB, KD's World, and GYSC.  They're still in their parts of the world and all is right.  I made a few comments on their sites.  Will check back later today.  Finished that cup of coffee, on to cup two and a shave.

    I need a shower.  I need a haircut.  I don't need to go sit for a hour at our small town barber shop.  I have clippers and a semi-steady hand.  I'll do it myself.  I've done it before.  I'll do it again!  (I cut my son's hair the entire time he was growing up, that is until he got in high school.  You should see his Senior picture.  Hair down to his these days.)

    I cut my hair with the 3/8" attachment.  It was easy.  I'm going half bald anyway.  I hollered at Jacob, my son, and had him go over the back and trim my neckline.  Done.  A shower.  Done.  Another cup of coffee with the towel wrapped around me.  Done.  Dressed for the work lunch at 12:30 pm.  Free BBQ from a chain restaurant called Dickie's Bar-B-Que.  They advertise on our TV station.  How bad can it be?  It's no GYSC pulled pork, I'm sure.

    Still got a little time to kill so went out and picked a few tomatoes.  I need some time to do something with them tomators.  6 more today to go with the other 2 bowls full and the random ones in the crisper drawer.

     I'll clean out that drawer later.  I have other fish to fry.  My washing machine broke down yesterday.  I did a load of clothes.  Put them in the dryer.  Loaded up some jeans and T-shirts in the washer at about 2 am.  As it filled with water, knowing my work was done for a while, I went to my room and sat down at the computer.  A little later I thought that damn washer was going to wake up the neighborhood.  Sounded like a left armed guy trying to shift gears in a one ton truck with a bad clutch.  The noise made me hurry from the back of house to the laundry room to punch the knob and make it stop!

    The cotton victims.

    The clothes are still there right now.  A friend offered me his old washer 3 weeks ago after I helped him go to Sears and pick up his deluxe, jumbo one.  We got it down his basement stairs and set up.  A week later I stopped by and he offered me his old one.  Unfortunately I had a pinched nerve in my lower back at the time.  I told him I would get it later.  Later is now.  I called him today and will go this Saturday to pick it up.  It's way better than the one I've been using anyway.

    This post is getting long and I haven't even gotten to lunch yet.  I'm sure you have stopped reading by now, so I won't worry about the spelling so much.  Hehehe  The ice has melted in my Vodka.  BRB

    Harumph!  That's better.  Vodka on the rocks.

    Now, to the lunch.  We've all been working day and night to merge some television stations.  I work for a company that owned the NBC affiliate.  3 years ago they bought out the local Fox affiliate and moved them in with us.  Now through various legal FCC loopholes, you might say, we are are going "manage" the ABC and CW affiliates.  I'll leave it that.  I value my job.  I'm not on the same level as James Altucher.

    We are just finishing the new master control room.  I put in lots of 12 hour days.  At one point some of the guys worked for 36 hours nonstop.  They really are a nice bunch of guys, even if they have a zombie look on their face.  I guess we made the deadline.  I took some pictures during the past few weeks.  Here's a sample.





    Heeeree's Justin...taking a break.  Been working evenings with him for a few years.  I took care of NBC and he took care of Fox.  We 've dubbed 1,000's of commercials, too.  Someday I'll post the Hardee's commercials that only aired for a day.  I made copies of them the night before they went on TV.  I knew we wouldn't air them long...A Hole vs B Hole.  They are a riot!  Guess their biscuit balls should have been called something else!  Hahaha  I only mention Justin 'cause he can't stop me, don't know about the rest of the guys.  :)

    Some of the engineers were brought in from sister stations (our company owns several stations around the country), and of course consultant types, etc.  Anyway, come tomorrow I'll be working in a new control room, with new servers and ways of doing things.  It's a work in progress.  The bottom line is that in Topeka you can watch PBS, CBS, or us!  Our schedules will probably be changing.  I'd be happy to keep mine because I have 3 day weekends.  I am usually off Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, then work an 8 hour day, two 12 hour days, and an 8 hour day.  It helps make up for the pay.

    But all this is why we are getting a free BBQ lunch.

    Dum, da dum dum, da!

    We had our lunch.  The chopped brisket was good.  The pieces of smoked chicken breast were good.  The rest tasted like it came out of a can.  Not good.  But not bad for free.  That's all I can say about that.

    I then headed off into the heat to Sam's Club.  Filled up the Pathfinder with gas...$49.40.  Went into Sam's Club and refilled a generic prescription of Metformin (for Type 2 diabetes)...$10.00.  Got 10 cans of Skoal...$34.08.  Got 47 lbs of dog food (whatever happened to 50 lb bags?), 12 rolls of paper towels, 1 gallon of liquid hand soap (was $6.48 for 2 half gallon bottles, but found 2 dented bottles on the discount shelf in the back of the store for $4.52...had to put the pretty bottles back), a box of green tea, 5 lbs of Sharp cheddar cheese, 3 pack of Dawn dish soap, and on and on...meat, veggies, mixed nuts.  Basically we were out of everything.  And forgot my list at home, so still need to go to my local grocery store tomorrow to get the rest of the stuff.  Sam's Club total for food...$155.21.

    Now I'm heading home.  NO!!!!  Now I go to Petco to spend $20 on some ear wash for one of the dogs because he keeps getting ear infections.

    The ear offender: Kita

    Oh, OK, can't forget the other dog, Juliet.  She has cataracts, lost 90% of her hearing (I use sign language for most things, or scream at her (no, I'm not being mean, she just can't hear worth a sh*t), and her back legs are really giving out on her.  Then there's the bad part, she has been going to the bathroom in the house, #1, #2, take your pick, but she can't help it.  It's like having an elderly relative that's just plain losin' it.  It will be a sad day if I have to put her to sleep.  She follows me from room to room and Jacob says she will lay looking at the front door for hours at a time while I'm at work.  She is a good dog.


    Got that ear medicine.  Now I'm going home!  And I did.  Just a summer day off.

    Maybe I'll get drunk and eat some mixed nuts.  Or not.  I can do what I want.  I did my chores for today! 

    References (1)

    References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
    • Response
      This blog is very good to read and I want to say that summer is always the same everywhere in the world. You are lucky that you are sitting in the centre of 2 split ac. Some are unable to get those. It is a good blog to read.

    Reader Comments (2)

    Busy man!!!! So honored you swing by my site first thing in the morning!!! You work with serious hardware. My pug dog always needs his ears cleaned out. All my best my man.

    August 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterGYSC

    Thanks dude. Same here. All my best to you.

    August 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSovBo

    PostPost a New Comment

    Enter your information below to add a new comment.

    My response is on my own website »
    Author Email (optional):
    Author URL (optional):
    Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>